Monday 27 January 2014

A slice of life...

The year is 2014 and most people have new year resolutions. Well one of mine for this year is to simply let others in the world know about certain things on my mind. So a little introduction is in order I guess.

I am going to start simple. My name is Will and I am a student at university. I am currently (as of 27/01/2014) in my second year of BA Early Childhood Studies with aims to go into teaching or to go into childcare. Before anyone jumps the gun yes I am a guy and yes I have worked with children in the past and no I am not a paedophile or child molestor as some narrow minded people think. In fact this is the reason why I am starting this blog, I am hoping to explain to the public that men can be in positions where young children are involved and even though parents would want a female caring for their child over a male, it is still perfectly fine for your children to be around male practitioners.

The one thing that has been annoying me is the fact that if I so as happen to mention that I work with children I'm faced with the same comment. "Oh he must be gay then, he works with pre-schoolers". Not only is this comment and prejudgement totally untrue but it is just absurd. I can assure you that I am not gay in the slightest and I have friends that are gay. I have nothing against anyone who is homosexual or bisexual in the slightest and I do not believe they should be discriminated against at all. Afterall we are all human, but I am simply annoyed that people can think this because of my chosen career path. However it does happen all the time, and it is one of the hardest obstacles I have had to face in my career and personal life so far.

The other reason is so that I once told someone what I do for a living and they automaticaly presumed that I was a paedophile. Of course I am not, and would never even think about even laying a finger on a child to harm them. However we live in a society and world where parents are scared for their children to even be seen by other people on the street. I see it everyday, parents not letting their child wander or explore, yes there is the degree of safety in that but parents fear every day that some "Strange man" is going to come along and snatch their child away. And yes it is always "The Strange Man" and is never "The Strange Woman". Some people deny it but we do live in a very sexist world when it comes down to children. If you showed 2 pictures to any parents, one of a man and one of a woman and asked which is most likely to take your child; the majority would choose the man. That is how our minds think now and that is what I believe is wrong and will always be wrong to assume. It makes my job harder when you know that some people just don't want a fully capable man who has the same training as a woman caring for their children.

Also since I am at University this provides me a place to basically rant and let out my feelings. I have faced numerous challenges when it comes to understanding new cultures and meeting new people. I thoroughly enjoy going to University and I enjoy being around people I can simply sit and talk to. However hopefully I can raise a few points which I think (Once again) is unfair about how our society see's university and how they treat our students. Most of our students are working non-stop to get the best grades and to excel in their chosen career's yet most corporations won't always let students excel and be free. For example, have you tried finding a part time job in a small town to fit around your ever changing timetable? Thats only one example.

However I've said enough for the introduction. Basically, I'm Will. I try to be fair on all points and I am a qualified childcare practitioner. This is my way of informing the world that the unnecessary fear and caution around men in childcare is wrong and just makes our jobs harder!

No comments:

Post a Comment